Friday, January 10, 2014

Understanding Your New Garmin

Here is a list of 15 tips for every new GPS owner.  It is a very good list - I wish I had written it!

http://gpstracklog.com/2013/12/15-tips-for-the-new-handheld-gps-owner.html

Especially important is to learn to use the receiver by using it in town before going into the woods.  I have been testing a brand new Garmin Monterra recently, and even though I am very familiar with my GPSmap 62s, it has still been hard to understand how a new model works.  I spent days without knowing how to turn on the "tracks" function, which marks where you went on a map!  When I finally figured it out, it turned out to be an easy fix.  Get those fixes figured out before you need a GPS.


The Garmin Monterra

I also totally agree with the recommendation that you get Enloop Rechargeable batteries.  Enloops reportedly last for more charges than other rechargeable batteries on the market.


I would replace Tip #13 ("grab some Birds Eye aerial imagery") with a different one: purchase a Micro SD card for your GPS receiver if it accepts one, and get the proper size for your receiver.  The Garmin GPSmap 62 takes a relatively small card (I believe my card is 4 MB), while the Garmin Monterra takes a much bigger card (I believe my card is 64 MB).  Google your unit's name and "Micro SD" to see what card you should get.

No comments:

Post a Comment