Thursday, December 12, 2013

What model should I buy?

Garmin makes several levels of many of its GPS receivers.  For the GPSMAP 62 series, there is the base model, the 62s (which accepts memory cards and has an altimeter), the 62st (which adds Garmin's topo maps), and the 62stc (which adds a 5 MP camera).
Base Model Garmin GPSmap 62
Garmin GPSmap 62s
Garmin GPSmap 62st
Which one to get for the hiker?  Here is a comparison chart, put together by one of the better online GPS retailers.  LINK.  

I strongly recommend a 62s.  The base model does not have added memory capacity, which is every useful.  And I like the altimeter function of the 62s, even though I don't know that it is really accurate. The 62st includes Garmin's topo maps - critical for a hiker, but also available FOR FREE online.  And I keep a separate digital camera that is 10 MP.  These days, Garmin's 5 MP camera is not as good as most smartphones.  So why pay extra for it?
Garmin GPSmap stc

Others ask, why buy a dedicated GPS at all, when your smartphone does many of the same things.  the answer is that smartphones are not as accurate, and using your smartphone as a GPS runs down the battery really fast.  When I bought a smartphone I thought it was the end of my GPS - I learned quickly that smartphones aren't replacing GPS receivers anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment